Re: more on procmail

On Mon, 26 Aug 1996, Rick Macdonald wrote:

> So, I figure I need a program to use as an external movemail program for
> Netscape (I've been using its internal one) that has the smarts of a
> mail filter.
>
> Can procmail or mailagent be used as a batch "movemail" program like
> this?

Yes, procmail comes with a sample script for doing this with procmail.
Since my system doesn't allow forwarding to a program (grrrrr), I just run
this script that I call 'getmail' from my login shell.  I suppose it would
work as you want with netscape, but I can't guarantee anything.  Procmail
can use local locks on the folders which I assume that netscape would
honor, but I haven't tried it.  Appended is the 'getmail' script.

Tony.

#!/bin/sh
ORGMAIL=/var/spool/mail/$LOGNAME
if cd $HOME &&
test -s $ORGMAIL &&
lockfile -r0 -l1024 .newmail.lock 2>/dev/null
then
trap "rm -f .newmail.lock" 1 2 3 13 15
umask 077
lockfile -l1024 -ml