Q's about modifying a debian package install

I'm still trying to get a grip on the whole theory of debian package installations and I have a few questions about how one should go about modifying an installation.

I just installed the apache package. The debian installation sets up apache to run out of the rc.d stuff but I want it to run under inetd (it's for "intranet" access and security is more important than speed). What's the "right" way to make this modification? To take apache out of the start-up process should I:

Change the apache script in /etc/init.d to just exit whenever its called?

Run "update-rc.d apache remove" (this generates the error: "update-rc.d: error: /etc/init.d/apache exists during rc.d purge)?

Just delete apache from /etc/init.d and its symlinks in all the /etc/rc.d directories?

I guess the right way to fix this problem would be to change the apache .deb package installation script stuff so it allowed for either type of installation and then future upgrades (or purges) would be done correctly?

What about installing non-debianized programs into my system. I've seen people refer to installing all non-debian stuff in /usr/local. Why? I'm writing a lot of little perl script utilities for my system. Should they all go in /usr/local? What about the configuration files for the perl script utilities I write. I've been putting them in /etc, should they go someplace?

Thanks in advance for answers to any of my questions.

Al Youngwerth
alberty@apexxtech.com

BTW is someone working on upgrading the debian apache package to 1.1.1?