Re: "man" crashes

On 24 Aug 1996, Christoph Lameter wrote:

> waterf:/usr/local# mandb /usr/local/man
> Processing manual pages under /usr/local/man...
> Checking for stray cats under /usr/local/man...
> Checking for stray cats under /var/catman/local...
> 0 man subdirectories contained newer manual pages.
> 0 manual pages and 0 stray cats were added.
> waterf:/usr/local# man -kr xx
> Segmentation fault (core dumped)
> waterf:/usr/local# dpkg -s man
> Package: man
> Section: doc
> Maintainer: Alvar Bray <alvar@debian.org>
> Version: 2.3.10-11

I've got the same version. I get:

$ man -kr xx
xxgdb (1x)           - X window system interface to the gdb debugger.

However, most of my man pages are in /usr/man not /usr/local/man. Try
running mandb on /usr/man and see if that helps.
You might also try checking the MD5SUM on the package file you installed
from. If it does not check out, then you got a corrupt package file. Try
getting a new copy and re-install, if this is the case.
Just an asside...is your shell bash?

Luck,

Dwarf