Re: gcc can't find termcap library

David Engel writes:
-> danny@maxwell.ucsf.EDU writes:
-> > I recently installed Debian 1.1, including termcap.compat.  Since then
-> > I've installed a custom version of the kernel (2.0.7) successfully, so
-> > I figure that gcc is reasonably well set up.
-> >
-> > However, I tried to compile kermit 5A(190) and the make failed,
-> > complaining that it couldn't find -ltermcap.
->
-> The Debian termcap package is only intended for run-time use to allow
-> old and non-Debian programs compiled with termcap to work.  Any new
-> programs should be compiled with ncurses.

This is not necessarily always possible. The one case I know about is
when a program uses "varargs" instead of the newere, ANSI-standard
"stdarg".  Since the ncurses headers include stdarg, any program which
uses varargs (nn is the example I can think of offhand) will not work
with ncurses.

Although, I agree that when possible ncurses' termcap emulation should
be used, since the old termcap/curses libraries are considered
somewhat obsolete.

-> > There is definitely a file of the form /lib/libtermcap.so.?, but I
-> > guess gcc is looking for a *.a file.
-> >
-> > How should I go about fixing this?
->
-> You should convert the source and/or Makefile to use ncurses.

Or, if that's not possible, make a symbolic link in /lib libtermcap.so
-> libtermcap.2.0.8

-Larry

--
  Larry Daffner        |  Linux: Unleash the workstation in your PC!
  vizzie@airmail.net / http://web2.airmail.net/vizzie/