/etc/passwd migration between systems

I tried copying the /etc/passwd file from a Sun workstation to a Linux
machine in order to create common user accounts.

Linux, however would not decrypt the Sun passwords when correctly
entered.  Thei technique works fine between Solaris and Sun Unix.

Does Linux use a different encryption algorithm than Sun?  (obviously it
is different) Is there any Sun compatability login software for Linux
that would allow me to use a common password database between the two
systems?

Jim