Re: PPP Manual Dial?

On Tue, 20 Aug 1996, Jean Orloff wrote

-- extra stuff deleted --

> is getting on my nerves (and I won't let my wife or kids do that...). So what I
> would like is some graphical front-end to pppd, displaying the status, and
> with buttons to start/stop a connection. This could be started by root at boot
> time, solving the suid problems. (I tried
> 	chmod a+s /usr/sbin/pppd /usr/sbin/chat;
> 	chmod a+rx /etc/ppp/chat*
> but no way I could fire a ppp session as a simple mortal user...). Including a
> prompt for the password in such a setup would be relatively trivial.
>
> Does anyone know of something of this kind? I vaguely saw a related tool for
> diald: a good hint? Come on: we could easily do better than windoze and the
> uggly trumpet winsock on this one, and this is a huge selling argument!
>
> Amities,
>
> 		Jean Orloff
> +++++++++	+	+	+	+	+	+	+	++++++
> +Tel:(33)50.09.16.75   Fax:(33)50.09.94.95   http://lapphp0.in2p3.fr/~orloff/+
> +++++++++	+	+	+	+	+	+	+	++++++
> "The pistol of a flower is its only protections agenst insects."
> >From science exams at high-school.

I use TKppp. I believe I got it from sunsite. I made a few modifications
to suit my personality, but it it is mostly stock. It does auto-redial,
auto-reconnect, and pings at an interval (user-defined) to keep your ISP
from shutting you off if you take too long reading your mail :-\.

  If you choose for the lesser of two evils, you assure yourself of an evil.

           Check out the Libertarian Party   http://www.lp.org
 Mike Schmitz    mschmitz@transport.com
http://www.transport.com/~mschmitz

            "To the last I grapple with thee ..." -- Melville