Re: Debian quirks?

> Here's a few things that has been bothering me for a while.  Have I done
> something wrong, or should the following be considered bugs:
>
> /etc/inittab:
> 1:2345:respawn:/bin/login root </dev/tty1 >/dev/tty1 2>&1
> The problem is that login waits 60 seconds before giving up.  The init
> start to respawn this line until it is disabled for 5 minutes.  This
> behaviour continues forever or until the line is replaced with a "normal"
> inittab-entry.
>
> /etc/inittab:
> ~~:S:wait:/sbin/sulogin
> This program doesn't seem to know what console it wants it input on and
> therefore doesn't get any input at all.  Had to add /dev/console to get it
> to work.

This isn't really a problem with debian, the real problem is that the
programs don't know what console to use, or the console isn't set up
correctly or something like that.

I have a dumb terminal set up using a hacked version of agetty so it
doesn't prompt for a login name or a password, just runs a program
immediately. It seems to work well. I'll send you a patch to agetty via
private email.

--
               "true - do nothing, successfully" - - true (1)