Re: where is wish ?

David Engel <david@elo.ods.com> said:
> Wish is the base-level Tk interpreter.  Install either the tk40 or
> tk41 packages.  if you install both, the wish from tk41 will be used
> by default.

By the way, this days I tried to compile some Tcl extension package (namely
ctk) and its configure script wasn't able to find the Tcl library.
Investigating the problem, I found out that Debian doesn't install a libtcl.a
or libtcl.so but libtcl7.4.a and and libtcl7.4.so.

I know that is done to allow for the simultaneous installation of Tcl 7.4 and
7.5 (and possibly other future versions).  However, I just wonder if it should
exist a link to one of those libraries from /etc/alternatives (and, of course,
one from /usr/lib/libtcl.so to it) so that configuration scripts can find the
real library easily.  I can see that the packages are doing that already for
wish and tclsh, but not for the library.  Am I missing something?

M. S.
Martin A. Soto J.                           Profesor
Departamento de Ingenieria de Sistemas y Computacion
Universidad de los Andes      masoto@uniandes.edu.co