Re: cdplay & sound.o autoloading

On Thu, 15 Aug 1996, Derek Lee wrote:

> I have been seeing something strange on my system. The autoloading of
> the sound module works most of the time. The problem is with the CD
> playing programs (cdplay from cdtool 1.0 or workman). They do not send
> a request the sound module to kerneld. But they work if the module has
> been loaded at some point in the past. In fact, they would continue to
> work even if the sound module has been removed from the kernel!

Playing audio CDs does not use the sound driver.  However, unless the
sound card has been initialized, you will not be able to hear audio CDs
through your soundcard (you can probably hear them if the speakers are
plugged directly into the CD player though).  The sound card is
initialized when the sound module is first loaded. After that, audio CDs
will still play even if the sound module is removed because the card has
already been initialized and that's all that's needed.

You could play a sound clip upon bootup or when you login to initialize
the card.  Perhaps just putting something like
"modprobe sound ; rmmod sound"  in a boot file would do the trick too.

Gerry