Re: kernel size (was: How do I get GATEWAY2000 PS/2 mouse to work?)

> > The real question is whether the default kernel should be bloated with
> > features, or pared down.

I disagree. The default kernel need not contain anything that isn't necessary
to boot.  This means floppy, minix, and ramdisk drivers.  Ide might be useful;
this should (imho) be loadable as a module, though.   But anyway, to the
mouse.  ps/2 mice can be loaded as modules.  As long as it is loaded when it
is determined that the user has a ps2 mouse, I see no reason why it can't
be included in the available modules at boot time, and at the same time see
no reason why it should be in the default kernel; modules work. Use them.

If someone decides they'd rather not load the ps2 module, but compile it into
the kernel, well, they can.

--
Todd Fries .. todd@miango.com