Re: kernel size (was: How do I get GATEWAY2000 PS/2 mouse to work?)

On Thu, 15 Aug 1996 10:04:04 +0100 Casper BodenCummins
<bodec@Sherwood.co.uk> wrote:

[snipped stuff about PS/2 support not being present by
default ....]

> The real question is whether the default kernel should be bloated with
> features, or pared down.

As a brand new Debian user who didn't even know how to
spell Colonel until recently, and who has been caught out
by the lack of PS/2 support, I'd vote for a large
"everything and the kitchen sink" kernel to cover most
eventualities.  This will give heart to new-users and
upgraders, and can trimmed and tweaked by the gurus.

And thank you to all who responded with my "newbie"
question about telnetting in as root to a box without a
screen or keyboard - su and /etc/securetty were all new to
me.

David

David J. Evans
AMS, Virology Research Group, The University of Reading
Whiteknights, P.O. Box 228, Reading RG6 6AJ
Tel : +44 (0)118 9318893  Fax : +44 (0)118 9316537
http://skpc10.reading.ac.uk/