From: bofh@snoopy.virtual.net.au
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 96 22:17:56 -0500
To: linuxisp@lightning.com, linux-support@os.com
Subject: Re: [linux-support] Access to 1.2.8 from 2.0.6

In <1.5.4.16.19960817015628.2277aa50@mail.3wave.com>, on 08/17/96 at 01:57
AM,
   Mark Lane <mlane@3wave.com> said:

  I am having a problem which may be related.  I'm running a small ISP and
an Internet cafe.  I have 2 servers a Debian system and a Slackware
system.  Dial-up users who are unfortunate enough to be using Windows 3.1
and trumpet or Win95 are the only ones affected (users of OS/2, Linux, and
NT have no problems).  What happens is that when they establish a TCP
connection to the debian system data will be transferred very slowly.  I
have both the Slackware and Debian systems running as PPP servers and no
matter which one the poor Windows user connects to they will get very poor
throughput when transferring data to the Debian system.  So if a user
connects via PPP to the Debian system and then transfers data to the
Slackware system then everything will be fine.  Obviously the Debian
system is routing IP packets correctly, but there is some problem with TCP
(could be MSS).
   I have taken the Debian system from version 0.96R3 (a.out) with kernel
~1.3.60 to 1.1 (ELF) with kernel 2.0.13 and it made no difference.  If you
know what I could do (or even some useful tests I could run to get more
information) then please let me know.