Re: Isn't it a security hole...

As Joshua Stockwell wrote:

> To be quite honest, I think it has two meanings now. And it
> is nothing very recent, "hacker" has been used to label
> computer criminals at least for the last 12 years. Like many
> other english words, you just have to keep in mind under
> what context it is being used and apply the most appropriate
> definition. I personally would never want to be called a
> hacker, because it has a third definition for me -- someone
> who spends way too much time on their computer :)

Actually, all the above meanings are Johnny-come-latelies.
The original meanings (there are several nuances) derive from
hack (n.), a contraction of hackney, which means a horse used
in common work.  Leading into meaning a carriage for hire,
operated by a hacker, this is also applied to motorized
taxicab operators (I know, I was one before I discovered
computers).  Thus, through personal experience, I can attest
that the other nuances -- hired out, trite or commonplace,
make common by overuse, someone hired to do monotonous
mindless drugery, a lackey -- all these meanings come from
that taken-for-granted nag.

So it was with great surprise that, over twenty years ago, I
encountered the new meaning of hacker, which is truely at
variance with the established conotation of the word.  I say
this new meaning should be given completely to the crackers,
especially since, thanks to the media, society has already
done so, as Joshua has pointed out.

Thus, I propose a new word be adopted to describe the clever
and benign inventor of quick technical fixes.  Rasher, from
"Shockwave Rider" usage, is a possible candidate, except
Brunner's rashers seemed to operate too much outside the
boundaries of ethics, delving into industrial espionage and
even sabotage, as I recall.  Ideas, anyone?