Re: Isn't it a security hole...

Christopher R. Hertel wrote:
>>> Seconded.  The term "hacker" originally referred to one who would
>>> "hack" at [working] code to make it better, faster, cleaner, more fun,
>>> etc.  The term has been badly misused in recent years, and for some has
>>> taken on a new meaning.  Given the true meaning of the term, most of
>>> the people on this list could be called "hacker".

To be quite honest, I think it has two meanings now. And it is nothing
very recent, "hacker" has been used to label computer criminals at
least for the last 12 years. Like many other english words, you just
have to keep in mind under what context it is being used and apply the
most appropriate definition. I personally would never want to be
called a hacker, because it has a third definition for me -- someone
who spends way too much time on their computer :)

	-Josh Stockwell