Re: How to debianize packages?

pvo@rz.uni-jena.de (Volker Ossenkopf) writes:

> To maintain a well organized system I would like to install them
> with the Debian package installation tools and not by hand or at
> least to register them when being installed as debian packages.
>
> To focus the problem: How do I convert tar.gz archives (when
> no installation scripts are needed) into debian packages?
> How do I create a debian archive from installed files ?

This is really not supported well, if at all.  You should probably
just install these things in /usr/local.  For the most part Debian
doesn't touch that dir.  It's specifically for this sort of thing.

Then, if there are really great things that you'd like to see as
debian packages, you might consider packaging them yourself, and
adding them to the distribution.

--
Rob