Re: pine has long delay when sending mail via smail

On Wed, 14 Aug 1996, Joey Hess wrote:

> I'm using pine as my email program, and smail as the MTA. When I send an
> email, pine appears to wait until smail either delivers the mail or gives
> up and queues it. It displays:
>
> 			[Sending mail |  100%   |]
>
> at the bottom of the screen, and doesn't allow you to do anything else. In
> some cases (emailing hosts that there's currently no route to on the
> network), I've had to wait as long as 5 minutes before smail gives up
> and queues the mail. It's really annoying that pine can't send mail in the
> background.
>
> While pine is stuck waiting for smail, I see these processes running:
>
> [joey@kite] ~>ps -ax |grep sendmail
> 13292  p1 S    0:00 /usr/sbin/sendmail -bs -odb -oem
> 13293  p1 S    0:00 /usr/sbin/sendmail -bs -odb -oem
> 13296  p0 S    0:00 grep sendmail
>
> According to smail's documentation, -odb should deliver mail in the
> background, however:
>
>        -odb   Deliver  mail in background, if mail delivery is to
>               be performed.  Background delivery is not currently
>               supported in the SMTP modes; foreground delivery is
>               used instead.
>
> And of course, I am sending this mail via smtp :-(

If you have configured pine with the address of your ISPs mail server
(rather than the local one) then the smtp doesn't become involved with
your local smail. I use pine with smtp and have no smail/sendmail
installed at all! The timeout on smtp is fairly long (I don't remember
exactly), so if there is no response from the target, you wait and wait.

If you already have smail, why use smtp? Just let smail deliver the mail.

> Other programs, like elm and mail can send mail in the background with no

But elm doesn't do smtp.

> delay. I thought about maybe having smail just spool the mail, and then
> deliver when mail's cron job runs smail, but my work requires a constant
> stream of email, and that'd just slow things down to much :-(
>
> Does anyone know of a solution, besides changing over to sendmail or not
> using pine?

Use pine without smtp and let smail deliver the mail.

Luck,

Dwarf