kernel size (was: How do I get GATEWAY2000 PS/2 mouse to work?)

This is an interesting issue. You might use similar justification for
leaving all but the essentials out of the distributed kernel. This would
encourage users to learn how to recompile the kernel, and demonstrate in
doing so that it's surprisingly simple.

On the other hand, new users might think, 'This kernel doesn't even
support mice [or whatever]. What a crummy kernel!'. Many are liable to
come to this conclusion on discovering that only serial mice are (have
been just recently) supported.

Since the project's maintainers have decided to compile in a fair range
of support in the distributed kernel, it's quite reasonable to expect
something as simple as support for a range of mice to be included.

The real question is whether the default kernel should be bloated with
features, or pared down.

Casper Boden-Cummins.