Re: LILO trouble

Hi,

> Now, I decided to convert into Debian (I just love it's package system), so I
> through out the Slackware stuff and installed the three disks base system. I
> had to install LILO by hand because the instalation package tried to install
> it on the linx partion, which is the second partion on the secon harddisk
> (/dev/hdb2). I placed it on (/dev/hda). Then I rebootet. Then insted of the
> LILO text that is supposed to show up when LILO loads I only got "L" followd
> by "04" repeated in what seemsed to infinity.

#   0x04   "Sector not found". This typically indicates a geometry mismatch.
#    If you're booting a raw-written disk image, verify whether it was
#    created for disks with the same geometry as the one you're using. If
#    you're booting from a SCSI disk or a large IDE disk, you should check,
#    whether LILO has obtained correct geometry data from the kernel or
#    whether the geometry definition corresponds to the real disk geometry.
#    (See section "Disk geometry".) Removing COMPACT may help too. So may
#    adding LINEAR.

You can see if the Geometry in the Bios is the same as Linux reports on
startup of the kernel. If not, you should specify the geometry in lilo.conf
as you have enterd it in the System Bios.

Greetings
Bernd

PS: read /usr/doc/lilo/Manual.txt (of lilo_19-1.deb).
--
  (OO)      -- Bernd_Eckenfels@Wittumstrasse13.76646Bruchsal.de --
 ( .. )  ecki@lina.{inka.de,ka.sub.org}  http://home.pages.de/~eckes/