LILO trouble

Hi,
I have a 486 on which I untill recently had MSDos and Slackware installed on
two diffrent harddisks, with LILO installed in the master boot block of the
msdos harddisk allowing me to select between the two operating systems. This
worked just fine.

Now, I decided to convert into Debian (I just love it's package system), so I
through out the Slackware stuff and installed the three disks base system. I
had to install LILO by hand because the instalation package tried to install
it on the linx partion, which is the second partion on the secon harddisk
(/dev/hdb2). I placed it on (/dev/hda). Then I rebootet. Then insted of the
LILO text that is supposed to show up when LILO loads I only got "L" followd
by "04" repeated in what seemsed to infinity.

I have tried bothe my old Slackware lilo configuration file, the new created
by Debian. I have tried both the lilo version that came with Debian and the
old one used by Slackware. I have tried having both the MSDos hd and the Linux
HD as the first HD. And Gud knows what else, but the result is just the same.
What am I doing wrong?

I have temporarity solved the problem by using a MSDos boot disk with a menu
that allows me to either run the startup files from my HD after load MSDOS
from the floppy, or execute loadlin to load a linux kernerel from my msdos HD
and mount the root system. And this works acceptable. But it is not a decent
solution. And since LILO worked with Slackware, I see no reason for it not to
work with Debian. Any sugestions will be appricialed. Thanx.

 Name:      Hakan Ardo
 E-Mail:    hakan@munin.ub2.lu.se
 WWW:       HTTP://www.ub2.lu.se/~hakan/sig.html
 Interests: WWW, Programming, 3D graphics

 Thought for the day: As long as one understands, the
 spelling does not matter :-)