Re: Re^3: How do I get GATEWAY2000 PS/2 mouse to work ?

> My experience is that there are a couple of good hardware reasons for
> getting serial mice instead of PS/2 mice:
> -- we accidentally fried a BIOS chip by delivering a static charge through
>    a PS/2 mouse.  This has never happened with a serial mouse,
>    and leads me to suspect that the PS/2 connector (or at least the
>    connector  we used to have on our R.I.P. Asus '486 motherboard) is less
>    robust against  static than an serial connector.
This sounds like the only hardware reason to me.

> -- removing the PS/2 mouse frees up an IRQ.
Perhaps for you.  I cannot put ANYTHING on the irq used by my ps/2 mouse
because my p60 does not let me disable it.

> -- one never knows if/when PS/2 mouse is going to be available in a
>    downloaded kernel, whereas serial support is virtually always there.
Oh give me a break.  If you are not experienced enough to compile your own
kernel for your own custom hardware you should never be giving advice to
other linux users until you are.  SHEESH.  It is not that hard.  Do a
'make config' once, cp .config to some safe place, then if you must remove
your kernel source tree or upgrade or compile someone else's kernel, you can,
and the copy the file back and say 'make oldconfig'.  IT IS NOT THAT HARD
PEOPLE!!!!!  I personally have 14 different 'configurations' for different
people in my 'safe place' away from the kernel tree.  So I can compile for
14 different people if they ask me to.

That said, I have a ps/2 port and am using a serial mouse.  Why?  Because
before I had this pentium motherboard I did not have a ps/2 port and thus
had a serial mouse.  I am too cheap to go buy a ps/2 mouse, but when I
borrowed one from a friend to verify the port worked (easily compiled as
a module...no reboot) I experienced a much more responsive mouse than the
three serial mice I have tried since.  I for one intend to get a ps/2 mouse
when I have the extra money.

> I have had some problems with some serial mice though, particularly those
> cheap ones which change their state when the power goes off.

Hehehe, you mean the cheez-ball 3 button mice that when initialized must have
the right button pressed or they go into 2 button mode? <grin>

--
Todd Fries .. todd@miango.com