Re: A few stupid(?) questions...

Hi Daniel --

You asked:
> 3.  How would I specify to use -o (--colors) as a default option for
> color-ls?  (I also
> wish to use color-ls when I use the 'ls' command.  So, I would assume I
> would
> do an
>
> mv /bin/ls /usr/lib
> ln -sf /usr/bin/color-ls /usr/bin/ls
> ln -sf /usr/lib/ls /usr/bin/old-ls
>
> to replace ls with color-ls?)

No, that's not the right thing to do.  First of all, color-ls is
no longer supported by Debian.  Instead, color support is built directly
into ls itself, by way of the fileutils package (to be found in section
misc on the FTP archive).  After you install fileutils, then look in
/usr/doc/fileutils.  You will see a file called "color-ls.gz" with more
details.  Briefly, you can simply execute
    ls --color
to see your directory listing look like a peacock.

Also, it is a *bad* idea to execute mv's and ln's on files that have been
installed with dselect and/or dpkg.  If you don't confuse the package
management system, you'll confuse yourself when you try to upgrade or
install new packages.  It is fine to manipulate files in /usr/local
however.

Good luck,
Susan Kleinmann