Re: diald

On Fri, 9 Aug 1996, Tim O'Brien wrote:

> Does anyone know how to get diald to work? I'm almost there; I can get it to
> do it's thing, dial, connect to my ISP, start sending data, but after about
> 30 seconds, diald kills pppd, and reports that it has timed out waiting for
> ppp to connect. :/ Since I was in the middle of receiving an html document
> from the web, I'd say it's safe to assume that pppd was already connected.
> Anyone got any ideas how I can cure this VERY annoying problem?

I had this same problem and tracked it down to the ppp-connect-with-
diald script referenced by /etc/diald.options. I assumed from the
script's name that it would invoke ppp and connect, but alas it was
only meant to make the physical connection to my ISP and exit. Diald
takes over then and invokes pppd.

This leads to the second problem: /etc/ppp/options pointed to my
chatscript (/etc/ppp/chatscript) so when diald started pppd, pppd
tried to reconnect with chat which of course didn't work so well.

In short, make sure your ppp-connect-with-diald only runs chat (with
the appropriate script) and exits, and that pppd does not
automatically execute chat and you should be home free.

Unfortunately, I don't remember if this was the way things were setup
when I installed or if I messed them up. If the former, perhaps this
is a packaging glitch? If the latter I seem to learn the most when I
do something stupid (and I'm learning all the time).

Good luck,
Owen