Re: How do I get GATEWAY2000 PS/2 mouse to work

Thanks to all who replied to this posting. I have now got the
mouse working.

To summarise :

Support for PS/2 mouse is not in the kernel on the standard Debian boot
disk, either built in or as a module. Thus, to use a PS/2 mouse one has
to obtain a kernel with the required support. The special kernel 1 has
the neccessary psaux.o module, so obtaining the corresponding image
package, installing it, and adding "psaux" to the appropriate config
file (/etc/modules ? I can't remember) will do the job.

Ideally, however, I would have liked to compile a kernel which supported
the PS/2 mouse, as well as some other features of the GATEWAY 2000, such
as APM, and use that. I downloaded and installed the kernel source
package from 1.1.3, configured it, and tried to make the image by doing
	./debian.rules

This did not work, however - the make failed (after the best part of an
hour had elapsed) when it was unable to find "as86". I could not find
as86 anywhere on my system, and so was stuck.

Am I doing something wrong, or is it the case that the kernel-source
package is flawed ?

BTW, when I tried to config under X with make xconfig, tk failed with a
complaint about there being no such colour as "gray" !?!? Any ideas here ?

Some suggestions :

	- The default boot disk should have PS/2 mouse support
	  available as a module, since the PS/2 mouse seems a
	  reasonably common device, and new users will not be happy
	  if they have to go to great lengths just to get their mouse
	  working.

	- The modules.tgz file on the special kernel 1 boot disk
	  is corrupted. If this was fixed I could have obtained the
	  module I needed by extracting it from this file.

	- The apparent dependency of the kernel compilation procedure
	  on as86 should be resolved - if this file is neccessary then
	  it should be in one of the packages upon which the
	  kernel-source package depends.

Thanks again for everyone's help,

Mark Johnston.