Re: printing and .profile problems

At 05:49 PM 8/7/96 -0400, Susan G. Kleinmann wrote:

>Hi Chris --
>
>You said:
>> I tried to post to the linux.debian.user newsgroup without success.
>There isn't any newsgroup -- just this mailing list.

There is a group called linux.debian.user that I can access with my
News Xpress program operating under Win3.1. I just checked to be sure
and all the messages in this thread were there. Is it just a mirror
of this mail group and not a real newsgroup?

>I'm not sure what you mean that dselect didn't set up the printer
>"correctly", in this sense:  the various files and directories for
>lpr and lpd can be configured in any one of several ways,
>using a variety of approaches.  The HOWTO's refer to Linux in general, and
>not to the Debian distribution in particular.  Debian uses these
>permissions for directories in /usr/spool/lpd:
>
>drwxrwsr-x   2 root     lp           1024 Jul 27 14:20 lp1/
>drwxrwsr-x   2 root     lp           1024 Aug  7 16:15 lp2/
>
>where lp1 and lp2 correspond to 2 different stanzas in /etc/printcap.
>
>User 'lp' is defined this way in /etc/passwd:
>lp:*:7:7:lp:/var/spool/lpd:/bin/sh
>
>and group 'lp is defined this way in /etc/group:
>lp:*:7:lp
>
>If you've changed many of those things, you might want to try the
>settings above and see if they work.
>
>Good luck,
>Susan Kleinmann

What I meant when I said that lpr didn't work was simply that when
I tried using it nothing came out of the printer. I didn't try to
diagnose it, I just set up the way I always have in the past.
I'm preparing to try these hints plus all the others I've received
and will report back.

Thanks

Chris Beamis