Re: Supported fast graphics cards?

> I've been asked which graphics card to get for a purchase of 5
> systems to run Linux.  There are a lot of new cards out there
> and new versions of cards I was familiar with but enough has
> changed that I'm not sure exactly what to specify.
>
> I and some friends have Mach64 cards at home that we bought about
> a year ago and are very hapily running Debian Linux on but what
> would I specify to get a XFree86 X-Server compatible graphics
> card now?
>
> If you have a recomendation for a _specific_ model of graphics
> card that you know works (1280x1024x256), please let me know.
> It will speed my search.
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> David M. Cooke                                   d.m.cooke@larc.nasa.gov

I have one of the newer Mach64 cards.  From what I've heard basically
all of the Mach64 cards are supported by the latest versions of
XFree86.  I must point out though that the Mach64 cards that are
about 1 year old work just great with the current release of
XFree86 but that the ones that are about 6 months old or so are
only supported by the newest current beta release of the server.
So, if you are planning to get Mach64 cards.. you shouldn't have
a problem getting them to work but you will have to use the newest
beta release of XFree86 which I don't believe is currently available
in the Debian release.

Cheers!
Richard..

Richard Dansereau
Email: rdanse@pobox.com          Home page:  http://pobox.com/~rdanse
Electrical and Computer Engineering - University of Manitoba - Canada