Re: printing and .profile problems

Hi Chris --

You said:
> I tried to post to the linux.debian.user newsgroup without success.
There isn't any newsgroup -- just this mailing list.

> Anyway, I just installed Debian 1.1.2 in late July (my first Debian
> installation), with a few problems. ...
>
> 1. dselect didn't configure lpr correctly so I did it myself using the
> printing HOWTO which I've done successfully many times before with Slackware
> releases. Now root can print but users get the message, "usr can't create
> /usr/spool/lpd/hp4p/.seq". This is with the permissions on that file set to
> rw_rw_r as the HOWTO says. I tried changing the permissions to rw_rw_rw but
> then a user gets the message "usr can't create
> /usr/spool/lpd/hp4p/tfA006Aa01777". As far as I know I have the permissions
> set correctly in all the directories leading to this file, but this seems
> like a permission problem. I'm stuck!

I'm not sure what you mean that dselect didn't set up the printer
"correctly", in this sense:  the various files and directories for
lpr and lpd can be configured in any one of several ways,
using a variety of approaches.  The HOWTO's refer to Linux in general, and
not to the Debian distribution in particular.  Debian uses these
permissions for directories in /usr/spool/lpd:

drwxrwsr-x   2 root     lp           1024 Jul 27 14:20 lp1/
drwxrwsr-x   2 root     lp           1024 Aug  7 16:15 lp2/

where lp1 and lp2 correspond to 2 different stanzas in /etc/printcap.

User 'lp' is defined this way in /etc/passwd:
lp:*:7:7:lp:/var/spool/lpd:/bin/sh

and group 'lp is defined this way in /etc/group:
lp:*:7:lp

If you've changed many of those things, you might want to try the
settings above and see if they work.

Good luck,
Susan Kleinmann