Re: printing and .profile problems

>2. another problem, which I didn't have under Slackware, is using a .profile
>in the user's home area. I have just one line in it, "alias 'lo'=exit" which
>has always worked before but the lo commanded doesn't get recognized. I also
>tried renaming the file to .login but still no luck. Any ideas?

If .bash_profile or .bash_login are present .profile will not be used

>From the bash info file -------->
File: features.info,  Node: Bash Startup Files,  Next: Is This Shell Interactive?,  Prev: Invoking Bash,  Up: Bash Specific Features

Bash Startup Files

   When and how Bash executes startup files.

     For Login shells (subject to the`~/.profile' exists, then source it.

            If `~/.bash_profile' exists, then source it,
               else if `~/.bash_login' exists, then source it,
                  else if `~/.profile' exists, then source it.