Re: Sicherheitsluecke bei rlogin auf Linux [LSF Update#11: Vulnerability of rlogin] (fwd)

In article <[🔎] m0umAuq-000f3kC@animals.mit.edu>,
Stephen Masterman  <floyd@animals.mit.edu> wrote:
>>			Debian/GNU Linux systems may be vulnerable if
>>			NetKit-B-0.6 is installed. Until the official
>>			fix-kit is available for Debian/GNU Linux, system
>>			administrators of Debian systems are advised to
>>			follow guidelines under Other Linux Distributions
>>			section.
>
>Anyone have any more comments about this? There is no package called NetKit
>that I know of, I'm just curious if the developers have anything to say?

The debian box I checked had all the netkit bugs in it, every last little
one except for one - the telnetd environment bug.

I've no idea what Debian has chosen to rename netkit as in its internal
packaging system, but at minimum you want to replace

o	rlogin		(TERM bug - present in all commercial systems I've
			 tried so ask vendors for a fix too)
o	talkd		(DNS spoofing flash bug, also spoof scribble)

Note: the rlogin bug requires an account to exploit

o	rdist		IF you are running it setuid (buffer overrun as
			seems traditional in older 4.x BSD derived code)

Alan
--
UKUU free UUCP Project Swansea  |   Alan Cox, <alan.cox@linux.org>