Re: Wingate/IPFWADM

Hi Tim --

I have succeeded in making ipfw going by doing 2 things:

1.  Set up ipfw in the kernel.

    To do this, I set these networking options (all other networking options
    were not set, i.e., their value=n).
    -----------
    CONFIG_EXPERIMENTAL=y
    CONFIG_NET=y
    CONFIG_FIREWALL=y
    CONFIG_NET_ALIAS=y
    CONFIG_INET=y
    CONFIG_IP_FORWARD=y

    CONFIG_IP_FIREWALL=y

    CONFIG_IP_MASQUERADE=y

    CONFIG_IP_ALWAYS_DEFRAG=y

    CONFIG_IP_ALIAS=m

    CONFIG_IP_NOSR=y
    CONFIG_SKB_LARGE=y
    CONFIG_NETDEVICES=y
    CONFIG_DUMMY=m

    CONFIG_PPP=m

    CONFIG_NET_ETHERNET=y
    CONFIG_NET_VENDOR_3COM=y

    CONFIG_EL3=m

    -----------
    I suspect I didn't have to set all of them, particularly
    CONFIG_NET_ALIAS, but setting it doesn't seem to hurt much.

2.  I have a line like yours in my /etc/ppp/ip-up script.  Mine says:

ipfwadm -F -a masquerade -P all -S 192.168.0.2/24 -D 0.0.0.0/0

where 192.168.0.2 is the IP address of my husband's Windows machine.
I suspect the differences between your line and mine don't matter very
much.

Other than that, all I had to do was to set up the appropriate
databases on the Windows machine.

Then it just worked.  If this is any help, let me (really, the list)
know.  I think a lot of people are wondering how to do this.

Good luck,
Susan Kleinmann
sgk@tiac.net