Re: Seg faulting on installation of base...

 I got also a seg fault but may be because I was using the VC #2 to mount
 other partitions floppy  HD msdos and Linux ext2 :-)
 But that happen before installing the system (I was just trying yo copy
 base1_1.tgz to avoid installing from floppies. In a second attemt I
 succeeded. That was today.
 A week ago I also tried and I got error readiong from the diskettes as you
 describe ( i did not know that that was a seg fault (today's experience
 was more wexplicit as I could read the message on the terminal #2).
 I do not know what happened yet. I just want to tell you that doubled
 checked the diskettes and they were legible. I tried again with new
 diskettes and succeeded. I tried again wwith the old ones and no problem.
 In summary: try and try and try. Maybe is something in the kernel
 whichwhere small things might not have been ironed out yet. Try this if
 you have time to experiment:

 Boot with the boot disk (I used the June 16 - set)
 when asked for inserting the root, trry inserting one of the base set
 ( I did it by mistake with #3). No problem, Linux (The kernel is in charge
 yet!!) see the problem and asks you politely to insert the root disk (with
 slightly diff message compred to the 1st time so things are going on
 internally).
 Ok then insert the root disk. pifffff! kernel panic!
 I wrote down the codes I'll send to linux later (I have to work now..
 sorry)
 For my config (standard: ISA i486-DX33 + 16MBRAM + AHA1542 + 2 SCSI disks
 no NIC) I could repeat the kernel 3 times did not try more :-)

 I am afraid we'll have to wait for a while with 2.0.0 if robustness is
 your main concern.

 or... keep trying. just read  that deb 1.1.2 was realesed. Check the new
 release is under stable/ (see my previous post) and coincied with
 buzz-updates/

 Happy hacking!
 lazaro