Re: AfterStep pages down

> It appears that the site hosting the AfterStep pages is down-- AfterStep
> being the NeXTSTEP like window manager taken one step beyond bowman.

Check out:

	http://mango.sfasu.edu/~frank/afterstep/

> Anyway;  anyone have a mirror of the site available?  Or the source to the
> latest version?  Or a binary?

At the moment, everything you need can be ftped from:

	ftp://oak.sfasu.edu/pub/AfterStep

> Also;  is it relatively easy to create debian packages?  If so, I'd
> consider putting together a 'install this and you'll have a usable,
> relatively powerful, bowman/afterstep based X environment' package.

Interesting that you should mention that...  I have basically finished an
AfterStep package myself and will try to get it uploaded tonight.  At the
moment, it just comes with the author's default system.steprc, which may or
may not be the best starting setup for the typical Debian user.

I would certainly be interested in help designing a good configuration
system and just generally working on the package.  If you are interested,
Bill, please send me some e-mail.

In answer to the question of how hard it is to create Debian packages, it's
really not that hard.  You just need to know a little bit about make and maybe
shell/perl scripting, and there are plenty of examples to look at and learn
from.  It just took me most of a Saturday afternoon to go from ftping the
packaging guidelines and the "hello" package to having my first installable
package.

I hope that this helps.

--
Neil A. Rubin <nar5@po.cwru.edu> - Physics/Mathematics - CWRU '98, IMSA '94