Re: Meta/Hierarchical packaging?/nfs

You write:

}I've been thinking of something along these lines, too:

}I'm trying to install packages on a machine, but doc & man stuff on a
}separate machine as a server.  It isn't working well so far :)

}I've had reasonable luck linking /usr/doc and /usr/man pages to the nfs
}host, but the predictable bad things happen when i then try to install
}packages--all kinds of error messages.

It seems that you have problems with installing packages, right?
Packages are installed with uid=0 aka root, right?  NFS normally
sqashes root (i.e. translates uid=0 to uid=63336 for example).
Therefore you can't change permissions and the like.

Could you check out if that's the problem?

}I just don't quite understand the proper configuration for these, and
}how /bin/local interacts, etc.  can someone straighten me out?

What do you mean?

}(and yes, we're blessed :)  our old machines are 486/33's . . . I'm not
}sure there are any 386's left in front line use here . . .)

Oh, lucky guy.  My machine for creating .deb files is a 486SX-25 :)

Regards,

	Joey
 /                 Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only /
/          proved it correct, not tried it.  -- Donald E. Knuth /