Re: Meta/Hierarchical packaging?/nfs

I've been thinking of something along these lines, too:

I'm trying to install packages on a machine, but doc & man stuff on a
separate machine as a server.  It isn't working well so far :)

I've had reasonable luck linking /usr/doc and /usr/man pages to the nfs
host, but the predictable bad things happen when i then try to install
packages--all kinds of error messages.

Should i be setting the permissions for /usr/doc & man to  777?

Also, there are some programs that i want to leave on the server--man,
info, gcc and the like for those that don't have room for it locally,
etc.

I just don't quite understand the proper configuration for these, and
how /bin/local interacts, etc.  can someone straighten me out?

(yes, i know that the solution is big disks, but this is to convert old
machines that the department woudl otherwise lose.

(and yes, we're blessed :)  our old machines are 486/33's . . . I'm not
sure there are any 386's left in front line use here . . .)

(but they only have 80mb drives, though they'll frequently get a second
. . .)