Re: DEBIAN Linux on floppy disks

On Thu, 13 Jun 1996, Rick Hawkins wrote:

> > Why are there always utilities to do this?
> >
> > What would happen if I wrote a simple program to output the file in volumes
> > of a certain size, and then used "cat" to stick em end to end?
>
> that works.  I had to do this a few times.

I actually have a similar problem myself...

I would like to back up by debian system with my non-linux-compatible tape
drive.  My theory is that I can dump it in say 20 MB volumes to a file on a
DOS partition, and use dos to throw it onto the tape.  The tape can hold
about 400 MB  --> the size limit will come from how much space I can free in
my Win95 partition which is only 100 megs and is nearly full.

I have read the manpage for afia -- it supports volumes.  Is there any way I
can tell it to output only "volume 3" once and next time only "volume 4"?
I am thinking I should have it dump to a symlink and make the symlink point
to /dev/null for all but the volume I want each time... is this feasible?

Is there a better way?

(Of course the _right_ way would be to write a driver for my tape drive.)

(I expect to mount my system readonly to do this, but I could mount a
ramdisk to hold the symlink... still a pita probably.)

__kmb203@psu.edu_________________________Debian__1.1___Linux__2.0.0___
"The C Programming Language -- A language which combines the
flexibility of assembly language with the power of assembly language."