Re: gzip and dpkg problem

On Thu, 6 Jun 1996, Ian Jackson wrote:

> Paul Schoenly writes ("gzip and dpkg problem"):
> > $ dpkg --install package_x.deb
> >    gzip:stdout: Broken pipe
> >    dpkg-deb: subprocess gzip -dc returned error exit status 1
> >    dpkg: error processing package_x.deb (--install)
> >     subprocess dpkg-deb --control returned error exit status 2
> >    Errors were encountered... (and so on)
>
> This means that SIGPIPE was set to SIG_IGN when dpkg started.  For
> reasons too complicated to explain here this means that dpkg can't do
> proper error trapping (it always gets an error indication, and can't
> tell whether it's really an error).

[ much stuff deleted ]

> Please do tell us what the problem is if you find out.  Telling us
> which ways of logging in cause the problem and which don't will help
> us a lot :-).  If you don't want to bother trying to install packages
> (and it sometimes works even if the bug is present), try:
>   cat /dev/zero | true
> If the bug isn't present this produces just `Broken pipe' (assuming
> you're using bash as your shell).  If the bug is present it will
> produce `cat: write error: Broken pipe'.

ok, I am pretty sure I can blame this on xsm.  Whenever I try this
test in rxvt start by xsm or in rxvt started from that original rxvt,
it fails, if I start rxvt from a window manager (fvwm2) which is
itself started by xsm, the test does not fail.  Strange.  I guess fvwm resets
that handler correctly.