Problem with telnet login

I recently upgraded one of our machine's base packages and other packages
to the latest 1.1 versions.  Now when attempting to telnet to the machine,
a connection is established, the issue file is printed and then we see this:

You must exec login from the lowest level shell.
Connection closed by foreign host.

Anyone have a clue on what might be the cause of this?  Any suggestion
would be helpful.  Thanks.

--
Brian Sulcer <bsulcer@gibson.com>  |  Gibson USA
System Administrator               |  Nashville, Tennessee