1.1-Beta install problem with Buslogic controller

I was trying to install the 1.1-Beta of Debian Linux and my system
hung during the intial boot. I was using the Jun 3 version of
boot1440.bin.

My system is a 100 MHz Pentium PCI box with 32 MB RAM. It has an
Award Bios. I have a Buslogic BT-956C PCI Wide SCSI Host Adapter
with a Fujitzu 2 GB hard disk (it has 2075 cylinders).

Boot finds my Buslogic controller and says it is initialized
succesfully. It detects the Fujitzu drive.

The last line is:
Detected scsi disk sda at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0

It then hangs with the drive light on.

I also have a scsi cd-rom and tape drive installed. I was surprised
that it claims:

scsi0:   Target 0: Synchronous at 10.0 mega-transfers/second

I thought the 956C was a wide FAST scsi controller that ran at 20
megabits per second. Is that the problem? Or is it the fact that DOS
(I have a msdos partition on /dev/sda1) thinks it has only 1024
cylinders?

I know the machine is okay because I had been using it to run a
Slackware version of Linux with kernel 1.2.13. Also the Slackware
3.0.3 boot disk recognizes the drive proberly and will allow me to
boot. I quit after fdisk'ing the drive because I decided I wanted a
more upgradable system.

Using the old slackware install I never could get LILO to work but
Loadlin was fine.

Please don't tell me I must use Slackware or Red Hat.

Larry Loos
Show-Me Net            e-mail: larry@showme.net
1417 N Henderson         http://www.showme.net/
Cape Girardeau, MO 63701