Re: gzip and dpkg problem

In article <[🔎] m0uRU5X-0002ZlC@chiark.chu.cam.ac.uk>,
Ian Jackson  <ian@chiark.chu.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
>Paul Schoenly writes ("gzip and dpkg problem"):
>> $ dpkg --install package_x.deb
>>    gzip:stdout: Broken pipe
>>    dpkg-deb: subprocess gzip -dc returned error exit status 1
>>    dpkg: error processing package_x.deb (--install)
>>     subprocess dpkg-deb --control returned error exit status 2
>>    Errors were encountered... (and so on)
>
>This means that SIGPIPE was set to SIG_IGN when dpkg started.  For
>reasons too complicated to explain here this means that dpkg can't do
>proper error trapping (it always gets an error indication, and can't
>tell whether it's really an error).

Can't you just set signal(SIGPIPE, SIG_DFL) first thing in the
main() function of dpkg? And if not, could you tell me why not
(sounds interesting ;))

Mike.
--
+ Miquel van Smoorenburg   + Cistron Internet Services +  Living is a     |
| miquels@cistron.nl (SP6) | Independent Dutch ISP     |   horizontal     |