Re: printing in debian/unix is hard...

Dirk Eddelbuettel (Dirk.Eddelbuettel@qed.econ.queensu.ca) wrote on 3 June 1996 19:20:

 >  Carlos> Moral: if you want to have smart printing, use window$ :-( :-( :-(
 >
 >Narrr. I am quite happy with one simple entry in /etc/printcap, plus one
 >gs_filter. All I print is in postscript (generated by genscript or dvipsk)
 >and printed via gs. That I can simply say "print" in any application
 >program.

I don't mean that literally. I'm just fed up of the bugs in the
printing subsystem. I'm also having problems with lpd complaining on
valid printcap files :-( I'll try to track this...

However, automatic printing in unix IS HARD. Well, it's hard in any
case ue to the diversity of file formats and printers, but in window$
it's easy to configure.

The quick solution of one gs filter is far too restrict. It only fits
a domestic installation. I know about smart filters, that's why I'm
using apsfilter. It's more flexible than magicfilter, btw. The config
problems appear when you have several printers (I have 4 different
ones) and/or you don't want to only print postscript. Even when it's
possible to have a ps, it's not always the best thing. For example,
it's stupid to convert a dvi to ps when you have a direct dvi->printer
converter.

I have however a more fundamental objection to the unix print model.
It's not good for modern printers that have many configuration
options, like color/mono, paper/transparency, high/low resolution,
econo mode, etc. The number of alternatives is so big that you need a
graphic or menu interface to configure it for each print job.
Separating the options in different queues is not feasible because you
need to have tens of them. And the configuration interface must be
available from the print menu of every application and from the
command line. It surely can be done, but I've never heard of it.

Carlos