Re: printing in debian/unix is hard...

Dirk.Eddelbuettel@qed.econ.queensu.ca wrote:
:
:   Carlos> Moral: if you want to have smart printing, use window$ :-( :-( :-(
:
: Narrr. I am quite happy with one simple entry in /etc/printcap, plus one
: gs_filter. All I print is in postscript (generated by genscript or dvipsk)
: and printed via gs. That I can simply say "print" in any application
: program.

Same for me.  I use a self written simple input filter (perl) to
distinguish:

        o ordinary postscript (starting with %!)        -> gs -> stdout

        o postscript from windo$ (starting with ^D%!)   -> gs -> stdout

        o all other input                               -> stdout

and ONE corresponding entry in my /etc/printcap plus one
/etc/printfilter.conf.

If interested, I could send it to you.  But beware, it's not intended
for automatic installation, you need to think about some options and
file locations.  But iff installed it works almost ever (for me since
its installation) automagically.

It follows the ``keep it small and beautiful'' strategy.  So all user
requested formatting is left to the user
(such as a2ps, psnup, dvips, ...).  We print postscript or ``direct'',
nothing else.

Heiko
public pgp : finger heiko@sax.sax.de
fingerprint: A1 7D F6 7B 69 73 48 35  E1 DE 21 A7 A8 9A 77 92