Re: reporting in on my new upgraded debian 1.1 beta installation

  James> 3) emacs was upgraded to 19.30 (another major enhancement!).  when I
  James> upgraded to 19.29, I had the same problem, namely, emacs looks for
  James> the file /usr/lib/emacs/19.28/lisp/jka-compr.elc.  This problem is
  James> easily fixed by creating the sym-link 'ln -s 19.30 19.28' in the
  James> /usr/lib/emacs directory.  However, I wish this problem would either
  James> get fixed, or someone explain to me what I am doing wrong.

Emacs sources /usr/lib/emacs/site-lisp/site-start.el, a file which specifies
site-specific preferences for modes that should be provided on startup.
Following good debian practice, this file is actually softlinked to the file
/etc/site-start.el under /etc.

Now, the loading path for jka-compr.elc contained, for whatever reason, the
absolute path into the emacs lisp directory which depends on the version of
emacs. When this was done, it was set to 19.28, and hasn't been fixed since.
I had that first changed to
	(load "jka-compr")
which finds it's path automagically, and now, with 19.30, have
	(auto-compression-mode 1)
which provides the same features.

--
Dirk Eddelb"uttel                             http://qed.econ.queensu.ca/~edd