reporting in on my new upgraded debian 1.1 beta installation

I have recently upgraded my debian machine from 0.93R6 to 1.1 beta.
I am happy to report that everything, except one important piece, is
up and running and better than before!

I had a few minor problems which have been reported earlier and were
easily fixed:

1) /etc/crontab contained an incorrect entry 'atrun -d 0.5' which
   should have been 'atrun -d -l 0.5'.  This caused an endless loop
   of error messages to be mailed to root.

2) the /etc/X11/Xserver file incorrectly contained 'XF86_NONE' in the
   first line which should have been 'XF86_Mach64'.  This had the
   effect of not allowing X windows to start correctly.

3) emacs was upgraded to 19.30 (another major enhancement!).  when I
   upgraded to 19.29, I had the same problem, namely, emacs looks for
   the file /usr/lib/emacs/19.28/lisp/jka-compr.elc.  This problem
   is easily fixed by creating the sym-link 'ln -s 19.30 19.28' in the
   /usr/lib/emacs directory.  However, I wish this problem would
   either get fixed, or someone explain to me what I am doing wrong.

I also had one major problem that I felt should be corrected before a
major release is made.  I decided as part of this upgrade to upgrade
my kernel from 1.2.13 to 1.3.100 (I know I didn't have to).  I have a
PCI NCR SCSI card which is used for my boot disk.  The default kernel
from Debian did not recognize this card and I could not figure out how
to automatically load the modules (even if they existed) at boot time.
I had to use my 1.2.13 boot diskette to get my system back.  I fooled
around with /etc/modules and 'depmod -a -v' command to try and get
things running, but no luck.  Finally I installed 1.3.100 source and
rebuilt my kernel (there is an incredible level of improvement from
1.2.13 to 1.3.100!!) without and loadable modules necessary.  Now my
system boots as I want.  Given this problem, I recommend a couple of
things:

 1) someone needs to write a layman's treatise on loadable modules
    and how to go through a change as described above.  Some people
    are going to get burnt on this issue.

 2) an upgrade procedure should be written to allow for such upgrades

I would love to do these things, but I'm not qualified.

Finally, I have a commercial license of NAG FORTRAN, which uses a.out
binaries and linkable libraries.  I can execute the compiler because I
have a.out executing enabled in my newly-complied kernel.  However, I
get unresolved references in the link step.  I suspect because if is
trying to link to the libc5 libraries and it needs the libc4.  I have
the old libc4 libraries loaded, but I don't know how to allow NAG
FORTRAN to link to them.  Can anyone help me here?

Also, I have a commercial Tecplot license which executes as a.out.  It
executes just fine and gives me the same results as the 0.93R6
installation.

In summary, I am happy now and will be very happy if I can get NAG
FORTRAN to link.

| James D. Freels, P.E._i, Ph.D.  | Phone:  (423)576-8645  |   | L |
| Oak Ridge National Laboratory   | FAX:    (423)574-9172  | H | I |
| Research Reactors Division      | Internet: fea@ornl.gov | F | N |
| P. O. Box 2008                  | Reactor Technology     | I | U |
| Oak Ridge, Tennessee 37831-6392 | world's best neutrons! | R | X |
| out the 10Base-T, through the router, down the T1, over the      |
| leased line, off the bridge, past the firewall...nothing but Net |