/etc/cron.daily/find exited with return code 1

I get this message daily:

    From: root (Cron Daemon)
    To: root
    Subject: Cron <root@annette> run-parts /etc/cron.daily
    Date: Tue, 28 May 96 06:42 EDT

    run-parts: /etc/cron.daily/find exited with return code 1

/etc/cron.daily/find is;

    #! /bin/sh
    #
    # cron script to update the `find.codes' database.
    #
    # Written by Ian A. Murdock <imurdock@debian.org>.

    su nobody -c "cd / && updatedb" 2>/dev/null

What does this mean?  If I log in as sroot and enter the above, there is no
terminal output.  "Of course, it's redirected", says I.  So, I try
without the "2>/dev/null" part, and get

   su: cannot run /dev/null: Permission denied

Yes, I get the error involving /dev/null only if I *don't* specify /dev/null
in the command.