Re: regular (aka bsd) compress distribution?

From: Yves Arrouye <arrouye@marin.fdn.fr>
> Is it impossible to distribute a real compress program? I know there
> may be problems with an LZW patent, but I don't know how they relate
> to the distribution of a compress program for say personal use.
> If this is possible I'll make a package for it.

I'd be happy to see someone make a "compress" package and
distribute it _from_their_own_site_ . If you can do that, please
go ahead. We'll put a note in the main archive that you distribute
it so that people can find it.

We (the core of Debian developers) just don't want to deal with a law
suit arising from an infringement of the Unisys patent when "gzip"
works so well that it has obsoleted "compress". That's why we won't put
"compress" in the official Debian archive.

	Thanks

	Bruce Perens
	Debian Project Leader