Re: which..

maor@ece.utexas.edu (Guy Maor) said:

> Argh!  What a can of worms this has opened up.  I've tested which on
> several other systems and also looked at the source of the 2 examples
> posted.  The problem is that they all have DIFFERENT behavior.
>
> What do you do given two arguments, "which ls cat", for example?  Print
> them both out?  Print only the first?
>
> What do you do if nothing is found?  Print nothing?  Print something?
> exit 1?
>
> I'll just pick some reasonable behavior.  I guess there is no real
> convention.  Real shells use "type".
>

> Guy

Well as I have metioned earlier, IMHO which is from tcsh, so the correct
behaviour is what tcsh does. However I realise that different implementations
of tcsh might have different behaviour, so this might not solve the problem.

This is what happens at work, on a SUN running Solaris:
mpw wtree 78 > which ls cat
ls:      aliased to ls -F
/usr/bin/cat
mpw wtree 79 > which arne