Re: A few questions before starting..

On Sun, 19 May 1996, Susan G. Kleinmann wrote:

> Robert MacQuarrie asked:
> > Will MSBackup also backup the linux partitions?
> Very unlikely.  AFAIK, Microsoft can't even recognize disk partitions that
> aren't their own.

I second that.

> > I have heard that MSBackup is not a realiable backup source so
> > can anyone give me their opinion as to a realiable one?
> Well, there's good old 'dump', then there's 'taper' (much friendlier than
> 'dump', then there's 'tob' which is a new package preferred by several of
> the Debian developers.

Once you get linux working, then these may be the way to go, but if you're
planning to backup your system now, make sure you compare the files on the
tape archive to the originals.  We had a big problem with Arcada Backup 1.0
for Windows '95--it didn't work at all with our tape drive, but it was
happy to tell us that our backup was complete.  The next version fixed
the problem.  MS Backup for Win '95 is a scaled-down Arcada Backup which
does not support SCSI devices.

Luck.  Syrus.

Syrus Nemat-Nasser <syrus@ucsd.edu>    UCSD Physics Dept.