Re: Must pppd be run by root?

Craig Sanders said:
> On Thu, 16 May 1996, Scott Barker wrote:
> > The tty's owner gets changed when someone logs in. The owner of the
> > tty (who is the person logged in) can then execute pppd to start
> > ppp. No problem. This is the setup I use (mgetty and pppd) to allow
> > dial-in users to use ppp, with no dial-out access.
>
> How are routing and/or arp table entries for the dial-in ppp user handled?

I use the 'proxyarp' option, and it seems to work just fine. No need to set up
routes if the PPP address is on the same subnet as the rest of your equipment.

--
Scott Barker
Linux Consultant

[ I try to reply to all e-mail within 5 days. If you don't  ]
[ get a response by then, I probably didn't get your e-mail ]
[ (we have a sometimes sporadic connection to the internet) ]

"Not to perambulate the corridors in the hours of repose in the boots of
   ascension."
   - Sign in an Austrian hotel catering to skiers