Re: X Windows

> OK, so, I used xdm to start X and things work fine. When I exit fvwm2 I
> get a login prompt. Now, I want to shut down the server.
>
> A. I can find no xdm process either with ps a or top. Is it hiding?

I don't think it should be...  On my system, it shows up as
/usr/bin/X11/xdm.

Try "ps -a | grep -i xdm | grep -v grep" and see what it gives you.

There is also a hot key on newer kernels (which I conveniently forgot,
sorry) that will dump a listing of the kernel process table to the
console.

IF you start xdm with "/etc/init.d/xdm start", you should be able to stop it with "/etc/init.d/xdm stop".  In fact, that might work even if you didn't (I haven't tried)
--
     Buddha Buck                      bmbuck@acsu.buffalo.edu
"She was infatuated with their male prostitutes, whose members were