Re: BUG? /etc/cron.daily/find doesn't run

Dirk.Eddelbuettel@qed.econ.queensu.ca wrote:

>   Rick> Is this a problem with the cron job from the findutils package or the
>   Rick> passwd file from the base package?
>
> With the passwd file. There is a : missing at the end of the nobody entry.
> It should be
>         nobody:*:65534:65534:nobody:/dev/null:

Has this been fixed in the base package?

This raises a question with me. If I understand how debian works, even when
a fixed base pkg gets updated on a debian system, this error with user nobody
will still be there since it won't overwrite the passwd file. This isn't the
best example of this issue. Another case is where, say, the default fvwm.rc
file is revamped to be really slick and full of good stuff. When a debian user
installs the updated package, again they may not even know about improvements
in the config file.

What is the mechanism for existing systems to determine if a package update
contains an important fix or desirable improvement to a config file that dpkg
doesn't replace?

--
...RickM...