Re: unstable/1.1 experiences, uucp still a.out?

Billy Chow writes:
> Olaf> sluggish. It's not a mem problem, it's 32mb (but only a 486/66)
> Olaf> with 10mb free on average... Loading emacs freezes X11
> Olaf> completely for about 5 seconds, with a.out everything slowed
> Olaf> down during emacs-startup, too, but not like now. That's the
> Olaf> price we pay for new features..
>
> Is it generally the case?  I read somewhere (was it the ELF-OWTO?)
> that there should not be much difference betwen aout and elf in term
> of speed.

Look at my other mail I just sent- generally it's as fast as before, no
other noticable slowdowns.

> I have only 8Mb ram on a 486-66.  If performance will suffer a lot, I
> think I 'll defer upgrading to 1.1 until I get a better computer.

I think if you upgrade completely without leaving a.out packages around
this should be no problem...

Olaf
! dc1ik@bofh.ampr.org - erb@inss1.etec.uni-karlsruhe.de ! Finger me for !
!   <A HREF="http://home.pages.de/~dc1ik/";>click</A>    ! PGP-public key!